Babcock Mill, Odessa Ontario
The Millhaven Creek was the source of many mills along its banks, with the first mill founded in 1830 by John Links. It is noted on early maps as Link’s Mills, then later as Mill Creek. By 1845, now known as Odessa, there was a sawmill, grist mill, woolen fulling and carding mill, as well as a planning mill. John Babcock acquired the planning mill in 1907 and soon became renowned as a Basket Factory. Babcock Mill, in addition as a mill, generated power for the village. In 1977, the mill was purchased by Loyalist Township, completely restoring it and in 1985 it officially opened as a museum.
“The Booth-Babcock Mill was open during the summers until 1992. Don Babcock, who worked in the Loyalist Recreation Department at the time, continued making baskets at the mill until 1993. There was no budget, and the mill was closed. Between 1993 and 2001 school tours were provided for one or two weeks per year. In 2016, the Babcock brothers opened the mill for a demonstration with a small private group in attendance.”
View larger image here.
Source: Lennox & Addington by Orland French, publisher Napanee Beaver, Napanee Ontario 2009
The Smiling Wilderness by Frank Edwards Publisher Camden House Publishing 1984
Loyalist Township Office, Odessa, Ontario