Historic Babcock Mill Stone, Odessa Ontario
The Millhaven Creek was the source of many mills along its banks, with the first mill founded in 1830 by John Links. It is noted on early maps as Link’s Mills, then later as Mill Creek. By 1845, now known as Odessa, there was a sawmill, grist mill, woolen fulling and carding mill, as well as a planning mill. John Babcock acquired the planning mill in 1907 and soon became renowned as a Basket Factory. Babcock Mill, in addition as a mill, generated power for the village. In 1977, the mill was purchased by Loyalist Township, completely restoring it and in 1985 it officially opened as a museum.
Source: Lennox & Addington by Orland French, publisher Napanee Beaver, Napanee Ontario 2009
The Smi9ling Wilderness by Frank Edwards Publisher Camden House Publishing 1984
Loyalist Township Office, Odessa, Ontario