Directors and Officers
Jane Scott – President
Robert Hammond – Secretary/Treasurer
Barb Weese – Membership, Events
Trudy Morris – Events
Jennifer Bunting – Past President
Cora Reid – Historical and Genealogy Adviser
County Chronicle Newsletter Committee
Barb Weese – Updating Member mailing lists, distribution
Trudy Morris – Editor, distribution
Jane Scott Production and layout
Website – Robert Hammond
As per Lennox and Addington bylaw 12.01(b), members may are elected to Board of Directors at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). A member in good standing is eligible to stand for election and vote at the annual AGM. The term of office of the Board of Directors shall be for one year and President at least two years but the President may not hold office beyond six years.
The History of Lennox and Addington Historical Society
For 114 years, the Lennox and Addington Historical Society has continued the goals established many years ago. Local residents, who expressed an interest in preserving the history of Lennox and Addington County, read with interest the following Notice in the Napanee Beaver, May 3, 1907:
“I have been requested to call a meeting for those interested in the history of the
province, and more especially those who are interested in the history of Lennox and Addington”.
By May 9, 1907 the Society was organized, Constitution adopted June 11, first open meeting held October 25th and affiliated with the Ontario Historical Society March 31,1908. With the adoption of the Constitution, the objectives were very clear: collection and preservation of historical documents and to educate the importance of the past history of Lennox and Addington, and the Dominion of Canada.
To fulfill these objectives, The Society found a home for an enlarging collection (an early archive) on the top floor of the Napanee Library. In 1907, a circulating letter was sent to prominent citizens to assist in the collection all materials for The Society. The requested items included maps, letters, books and newspapers. By 1913, The Society reported to the Warden and Council of Lennox and Addington 18,000 original documents had been preserved.
The Society had a well-established tradition of publishing. The Society’s Papers and Records numbered 20 volumes and the book, The War Years, was supplied to every school in the County. By 1954, after a period of dormancy of the Society, a concern was expressed by some citizens regarding the viability of The Society’s collection. The Provincial Archives were interested in having the papers and letters. Wanting to keep the collection in the County, The Society reorganized in 1954, with Judge Gerald Smith as President. Under his presidency, the County Council granted a room in the County Memorial Building as a Museum to house and display items. The museum was initially opened from 2-5 pm three times a week with volunteers from the local Women’s Institutes, Chamber of Commerce and Historical Society members. However, the paper collection remained in the Napanee Library, and was a concern to organize and catalogue the collection. Judge Smith initiated contact with the Dominion Archivist who offered to compile and microfilm the collection. By 1957, 40,000 documents had been microfilmed.
The Society had always been supportive of preservation of historical sites. The first initiative focused on Fairfield House, a Loyalist property built 1793. The Society wished to purchase the house and the land surrounding it as a Historical site. It did not acquire the site; however, the impetus initiated with the Lennox and Addington Society.
The Allan Macpherson House, located in Napanee, became the next Historic site focus for The Society. A goal of $30,000 was set to be raised for restoration. In 1967, the County acquired the House as a Centennial project, with The Society to fund and restore Macpherson House. Later, The Society purchased the House from the County, and continued to support the Macpherson House until it was acquired by the County once again in 2014, along with the Society’s collection.
The collection is housed in the new addition of the County Museum where it is being preserved for the future. Presently, The Society continues the publishing program of publishing local authors, having guest speakers for the general public, and supporting local initiatives.
This history attributes the information provided by Jane Foster, LAHS member. For a more complete history of the
Lennox and Addington Historical Society see Papers and Records Vol. XVI by Jane Foster.